Crimson Publishers Publish With Us Reprints e-Books Video articles

Abstract

Modern Research in Dentistry

Lip Changes Following Non-Extraction Orthodontic Treatment
  • Open or CloseKaveh Baharvand Ahmadi1, Peter H Buschang2 and Sawsan Tabbaa3*

    1Orthodontics Private Practice, Texas, USA

    2Director of Orthodontic Research, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry, USA

    3Director of Orthodontic Research, School of Orthodontics, Jacksonville University, USA

    *Corresponding author:Sawsan Tabbaa, Associate Professor, Orthodontics Research Director, School of Orthodontics, Brooks Rehabilitation College of Health Sciences, Jacksonville University, 2800 University Blvd N. Jacksonville. Fl. 32211, USA

Submission: August 01, 2019 Published: August 08, 2019

DOI: 10.31031/MRD.2019.04.000587

ISSN:2637-7764
Volume4 Issue3

Abstract

Introduction: The purpose of this study was to predict the lip changes in Class I adolescents and adults following non-extraction orthodontics treatment.

Methods: This longitudinal retrospective study evaluated the pre- and post-treatment lateral cephalograms of 40 adults and 72 adolescents with Angle Class I molar relationships and crowding in both arches. The horizontal and vertical changes of 15 landmarks, along with lip thickness and taper, were evaluated. The sample was randomly divided into two group; 76% of the subjects were used to develop the multivariate regression formulas; the remaining 24% served as a validation sample.

Result: Adolescent lips moved inferiorly and anteriorly during treatment; adult lips showed lesser inferior movement, little or no anterior movement and decreases in thickness. Males demonstrated significantly greater inferior and, mostly, greater anterior changes of lip position. The multivariate regressions explained 48-59% and 41-69% of the vertical and horizontal variation of the lip changes, respectively. When the prediction equations were applied to the validation sample, with correlations ranged from 0.60-0.84, indicating external validity.

Conclusion: The lip changes of Class I adolescents and adults treated with non-extraction orthodontic treatment can be predicted with fair to moderate accuracy. Adults’ lips became compressed and thinner, while the upper lip thickness of adolescents did not change or become slightly thicker.

Get access to the full text of this article


About Crimson

We at Crimson Publishing are a group of people with a combined passion for science and research, who wants to bring to the world a unified platform where all scientific know-how is available read more...

Leave a comment

Contact Info

  • Crimson Publishers, LLC
  • 555 Madison Avenue, 5th floor
  •     New York, NY 10022, USA
  • +1 (929) 600-8049
  • +1 (929) 447-1137
  • info@crimsonpublishers.com
  • www.crimsonpublishers.com