Crimson Publishers Publish With Us Reprints e-Books Video articles

Abstract

Orthopedic Research Online Journal

Efficacy of Local Methylprednisolone Injection for Treatment of de Quervain’s Tenosynovitis

Submission: August 09, 2021Published: August 23, 2021

DOI: 10.31031/OPROJ.2021.08.000693

ISSN : 2576-8875
Volume8 Issue4

Abstract

Objectives: The objective of this study was to find out the efficacy of local steroid injection for treatment of de Quervain’s disease.

Study design: Descriptive retrospective

Place and duration of study: The study was conducted at department of orthopedic and spine surgery, Hayatabad medical complex Peshawar and Khyber medical centre dabgari garden Peshawar from January 2007 to December 2019.

Patients and methods: We evaluated our data of patients with diagnosis of de Quervain’s tenosynovitis from 2007 till 2019. Patients with complete demographic data and who received local steroid injection and had at least 3 months follow up were included in the study. The findings were analyzed for the effectiveness of local steroid injection. The response to injection was considered effective when the patient was symptom free and did not need surgery. Local injection of 80mg methylprednisole was injected into the first dorsal compartment of the wrists. The injection was repeated if first dose was not effective at 4th or 8th week with patients consent. The outcome was checked for relief of symptoms or otherwise at 4, 8 and 12th weeks.

Results: Complete record of 270 patients was available. Females were 238 and 32 were males in a ratio of 1:7.4.The average age was 39 years ( range 24-71). Out of these 26 patients follow up was not complete. 180 patients needed one, 49 two and 15 patients three injections. Out of 244 patients 70 (28.6%) patients did not improve and needed surgical intervention. The remaining 174 ( 71.4%) had complete relief of pain. 4 patients had hypo pigmentation of the wrist area. 28 patients had exaggerated pain for 2-3 days before the injection was effective.

Conclusion: local steroid injection is safe and effective method for treatment of de Quervain tenosynovitis.

Keywords: de Quervain’s disease; Tenosynovitis; Local steroid injection; Ist dorsal compartment of wrist

Get access to the full text of this article


About Crimson

We at Crimson Publishing are a group of people with a combined passion for science and research, who wants to bring to the world a unified platform where all scientific know-how is available read more...

Leave a comment

Contact Info

  • Crimson Publishers, LLC
  • 555 Madison Avenue, 5th floor
  •     New York, NY 10022, USA
  • +1 (929) 600-8049
  • +1 (929) 447-1137
  • info@crimsonpublishers.com
  • www.crimsonpublishers.com